Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mormons, Mormons, Mormons!

So, I have a funny story that I'll tell you briefly. A girl from one of the English-speaking clubs asked to interview me for a psychology project, and I said okay, a little nervous that she would think that I stand out as a good candidate for psychiatric research. We met and she took me to some strange building, to the top floor, and unlocked some room that had some flyers about learning English up everywhere. There were a bunch of really unusually religious paintings everywhere, of Jesus and what looked like his clone. At first I thought maybe it could have been Boris and Gleb, this two Russians brothers/princes/saints who were murdered for the thrown, but then figured it wasn't them. I asked why there were two Jesuses, and she explained that one was God the father. I thought it pretty unusual that God was depicted at all, let alone as a perfect double of Jesus, but assumed it was some wacky Russian thing. I did think it was strange that there was one picture of Jesus with what looked like a Native American.

Anyway, so she conducted this endless interivew in Russian. She said it would last one hour but it ended up taking three and a half, with a tea break in the middle (she served some strange, red, flowery tea, explaining that she couldn't drink black or green tea anymore). Anyway, so she asked me a bunch of questions about my life, my childhood, about my feelings, about whether I was every beaten, about how I interact with various people, about what I look for in girls, etc. It was interesting to have a chance to get into some self-reflection, especially in Russian, but I was pretty tired by the end.

But.... towards the end of the interivew, some guy with a beard showed up, and was evidently pretty upset at this girl for using the space. He spoke in English, very naturally, I thought, and with a great American accent. I was impressed at the language skills taught at this place. So they argued, and he eventually agreed to let us continue the interview (I was sitting behind some divider so I only caught a short glimpse of the man), but only on the condition that these two other young guys who had just arrived could wait in the room to make sure there was no trouble. So the older guy left and I heard them refer to him as "Elder Dixon", which I thought was strange. They also kept saying "It wasn't the right way for her to go about doing this, kicking Elder Dixon out, and this guy's not even a member!" Their English was great and the membership business was awfully suspicious.

So we finished the interview, and I finally decided to ask about these strange, English-speaking people. She explained that they're part of a religious organization that rents the space and gives free English lessons. I asked which one, and it turned out that they are Mormons, and Americans to boot!

So that's why there were all these strange pictures of Jesus, God, and some Native Americans. So that's why this poor Russian girl had to reject her heritage and quit drinking normal tea! It all made so much sense!

Here I thought I was the only American in Tomsk, and there are actually six of them, Mormons! I decided to go have chat with them. They thought I was a Russian and asked me where I learned English so well. I told them "in Ohio". They didn't get it at first, but then I explained that I too was an American. They were nice enough, although when we introduced ourselves they wouldn't tell me their first names, only "Elder so-and-so". I thought this a bit odd, but whatever, I'll call them elders if that's what they like. But yeah, they're organizing a Thanksgiving dinner complete with a real turkey and I'm invited. It turns out that one of them lives nearby. I thought of inviting them over for tea or a drink, but they don't drink tea or alcohol, and as they explained, they're not allowed to be out past 9:30. Oh well, at least they won't get mugged.

They were pretty okay guys and even gave me a copy of the Book of Mormon in Russian (there are some great pictures), but I couldn't help but wonder what could drive a Russian to the Mormon faith. After all, I would think that Russians wouldn't be too big on an addition to the bible in which all sorts of miraculous things happen in America. Still, so I have heard, the Mormons attract a lot of Russians with their English lessons and appeal to them in some way that's bringing them members. Evidentally there's even a church here in Tomsk. Also, I hear there's an enormous babtist church that's formed a pretty big congregation. This is all pretty strange to me, but Russia is a surprising place.

But anyway, don't count on this bezbozhnik falling in with these Elders. I would like to hang out with them sometime, though, if they're okay with that. Something tells me they might not be. When I gave them my number they just gave me their businesss card they use to lure Russians to their church. Oh well, I can only hope!

In other news, I NEED TO APPLY TO GRAD SCHOOL!

Love,
Jason

6 comments:

  1. Grad school can wait. Maybe you should spend your next year filming the mormons, documenting their experience with Russian life and how they present "american miracles" to the russkies.
    I met some Mormons playing frisbee in the park. I was there with some friends and we were cracking up as one of them missed a catch, the frisbee knocking their Russian friend in the head as he was bent over picking something up. My friend Vanessa claims that the mormons have to wear special underwear. Be a pall and find out for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're seeing Jesus talking to Indians, chances are you're either in Mormon Utah, or hallucinating (possibly both). Add to that list: being interviewed by Russians.

    That's a really weird and great story. Kafkaesque in virtually every way.

    Speaking of sects that are not so indigenous to Russia, Oregon (where I live) has a vast Russian and Ukrainian population, and a lot of them are involved with my work (employees or clients). Word on the street is, most Slavic immigrants in these parts are Protestant Evangelicals.
    articles: http://www.portlandmercury.com/news/welcome_to_portlandistan/Content?oid=881295
    "Welcome to Portlandistan"

    http://wweek.com/editorial/3313/8513/
    "God, Gays and Glasnost"

    Lauren: It is true that Mormons are instructed to wear complicated underwear, which they call their "garments." More information can be found easily on the internet without forcing poor Jason to do primary research.

    That said, I can often tell Russians in Portland by the abundance of denim. Russians really, really, really love denim. Denim skirts, denim jackets, jeans, denim shirts. What is the reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the coolest young teachers at our school is a Mormon. This also came out slowly, beginning with, "I don't drink regular tea." I'm waiting to get to know her better before I ask her wtf.
    So yeah, grad school. Meetcha in Moscow to take the GRE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason that was such an entertaining story! Was the red flowery tea at least good? I'm a fan of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, they do wear those "garments". I really wanted to ask about them, but figured it wasn't appropriate. When I was talking to them, though, I was looking at their close to try to figure out how those bulky things could fit under there.

    As for Russians and denim, I don't know. I don't see as much here as in the states. I'm guessing all the Russians who were really denim-crazy immagrated to America to get their fix. It really was a Kafka-esque experience. Being led to a strange room to be interogated about your childhood, strange people coming and going, talking about me not belonging. Billy you hit the nail on the head.

    Ha, tea is like cryptonite for Mormons, or maybe garlic.

    The tea was not very delicious. Some Russians told me later what it was called, but I'm not about to look into it. It was very bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm up-to-date now. Crazy stories here. Sorry to hear about the bank card and Russian thugs ordeal. I don't know how you managed to chat up some "gopniki." Jason: So you kick ass often here?

    Yeah, the garments are for real.

    Sounds like you got played by that news crew man. What kind of budget TV station wouldn't even buy you some food? That TV piece sounds like the type of stuff the corniest local TV stations put together.

    ReplyDelete